HUGE shoutout to the awesome folks over at @rustoleum , especially Sarah in CS! She was very informative and professional in her answers to my questions. I am so grateful for the 2 quarts that y’all offered so I could assure that your product will work with mine.
The end results of my testing this water-based spar urethane:
* Appearance is very milky in the can and slightly milky during application- which I love! It helps me see where I’ve already applied it. 👍
* Dry time between coats, even in my ultra humid basement workshop, was actually 2 hours! Not 12+ for the “other companies” oil based product. 4 coats @ 2hrs beats 3 coats @ 12 hours+ by a long shot.
* No sanding necessary between 2 hour coats! Only if it’s dried for more than 24. 🙌 TBH: I did a light rub with 00 steel wool between coats anyway, but it wasn’t necessary.
* The first 2 coats made me question the gloss and build-up. When coat 3 was dried, it was obvious. After coat 4 dried, I was ecstatic. Beautiful. Just beautiful.
* Zero yellowing on application! I have not yet tried it over white paint, but I’d wager the result would likely be the same.
* Cleanup was Easy Peezy! A drop of Dawn dish soap on the brush, some warm water and done. No thinner or spirits. No worrying about chem soaked rags catching fire spontaneously. No disposal of used thinner.
OVERALL: This will be my go-to product for all of my flags. Period.
Everything so far has been 💯 and I couldn’t be happier!
Absolutely recommend AAA+++
*** EDIT: If brushing, I’d recommend a good quality bristle brush as opposed to foam. It just seems to come out smoother. I have NOT tried spraying yet. *** #makersgonnamake #diy #woodenflag #woodflag #woodshop #woodworker #tdw #rustoleum #varathane #perfect #progress #customerserviceisspoton